in Taiwan between 1982 and 1984 have been
the targets of a hunt for radioactive buildings.
Between 1% and 2% of the apartments checked
were radioactive. The radioactivity appeared
to come from imported scrap metal from the
west that was converted to construction
steel. The source of the steel has not yet
been determined. The radioactivity comes
from Cobalt 60 which Taiwan do not produce.
The radioactivity was first discovered when
steel bars were taken in to a nuclear power
plant, and the alarm at the gate was triggered.
The Taiwanese Atomic Energy Council (AEC)
is investigating all buildings build between
1982 and 1984. The task is difficult since
some of the suspect construction steel has
been stolen and must be tracked down. The
government will purchase apartments with
to high radiation levels and turn them into
The U.S. EPA has
begun carpet toxicity tests in their laboratory
in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
The tests are done in an attempt to duplicate
tests done by Anderson Laboratories, Dedham,
MA. The tests done at Anderson Laboratories
resulted in mice dying when exposed to carpet
samples. The Carpet and Rug Institute replicated
these tests and found similar results. The
EPA study will study the exposure history
of fifteen people who say they suffer from
multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Their
medical history, allergy and immunological
conditions, hormone functions, lung functions,
and psychiatric and psychological evaluations
will be part of the study.
A different report
came out a few years ago from Scandinavia.
In a new apartment building where a new
cement floor was floated, vinyl flooring
were placed over the new sub floor, and
a mysterious vapor seem to appear and made
people sick. The vapor could not be detected
with normal means. There was no smell, and
the vapor was invisible. People got sick
and the only source that could be detected
was the flooring materials. It was determined
that the different chemicals in the vinyl
glue and the floated cement material reacted
and formed an invisible vapor. It was left
unclear how unhealthful the vapor was. All
apartments had to have the cement floor
removed and a new type of floor installed.